Sunday, July 13, 2008

I Write . . .

I write what I believe to be true, and I share what I believe to be helpful to others. The truth exists whether it is believed in or not. If you believe what I write, you are subject to the same chance of being wrong as I am. We base our beliefs on evidence. What is evident to me may be evident to others as well. And the right to express what we believe is granted by a Higher Source other than worldly government. But that right is still part of the Constitution of the United States of America.

The First Amendment to the Constitution reads:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Adhering to the Constitution is what has kept us free so far. It was not by fear of, or retaliation to, would-be terrorists. It was not by treating our fellow humans as anything less, whether by torture of possible perpetrators or withholding civil liberties.

Let us protect the values of freedom, and the document that defines them.

1 comment: